Monday 8 July 2013

Monday 8th July: Day 9, Green lane campsite to Cuckoo wood campsite, Hereford - 68 miles

There was a convenient route through the lanes via the pretty village of Wem. I was happy to be off the A49 and 16 miles later i was in Shrewsbury.


This was my kind of town, old buildings, atmospheric alleys and the birth place of Charles Darwin - my last major contribution to my local pub quiz. Darwin conducted his experiments and lived with his family in Downe village, Kent; not far from my home but also where my dad and his wife live (John & Peggy). The whole village is strongly influenced by Darwin's legacy, with his wife and children buried in the churchyard there and their home Down House a popular attraction.

Charles Darwin outside buildings that were Shrewsbury school where he was educated. Now the library.


Whilst I was snapping away I heard a shout "Steve" from across the street. I squinted to re- focus and realised it was Craig who I'd met in Inverness and in John O Groats on the morning of departure. I thought he'd be well ahead of me but although Craig had started on a more direct route, he'd since been exploring more of Scotland travelling round the Ayreshire coast before crossing the border.


We chatted about our experiences over the previous 8 days discussing quirky B&B's, different types of tarmac and how we both felt that since leaving the highlands there had been more downhill than uphill. 

Lands End to John O Groats seems to be the way most people do it, i think because the prevailing wind is generally from the south west it's obviously better to have the wind behind you, but when it's not strong, it doesn't make any difference. I liked the idea of finishing on a beach in Cornwall and then an easier trip back to London.

Craig was off Gloucester way to stay with his parents but hoped to be at Lands End on Thursday like I did.

It was time to get going as it was the afternoon and still only 16 miles under my belt. Next town was Ludlow and all the way there the fine looking hill Caer Caradoc got nearer and nearer.


Ludlow was another attractive medieval town with a castle. I could easily spend a weekend here.



Hereford had been my target and fortunately as the sun had almost disappeared behind the trees, a friendly brown campsite sign came into view. Time to get the pasta on, again!



No comments:

Post a Comment