Wednesday 10 July 2013

Wednesday 10th July: Day 11, Arcacia farm campsite to the Golden Inn nr Holsworthy, 80 miles.

I tried to get an earlier start but the best I could do was 11 am. I'm not sure if I'm fit, knackered, or if it's just advancing years making everything ache.

I decided to keep faith with the A38 and was rewarded with a good 20 mile run to Taunton, bought lunch in Sainsbury's and looked for a good place for a picnic. As I took the shot below i was approached by a Police Officer who'd had reports of someone taking photo's of the Nat West Bank. 


Once he was satisfied that a dirty, scraggly-bearded lycra clad cyclist wasn't casing the joint, he told me he also was planning on doing the End to End with some friends but wasn't sure whether to do it supported or not. 

For me, forward planning each day in terms of accomodation would have halved the experience. However your day turns out you are always supported by the great British pub/Inn, motels, hotels, hostels and campsites; whatever fits your budget. And you can find it all on your phone with Google maps etc.

I happened upon a sign showing me the way to a good spot for lunch - seriously, this is not made up!


At the end of the alley was this:

That will do nicely

So then on to Devon and Tiverton.


Tiverton is a smart looking town and patrolled by an immaculate looking policeman who watched me cycle into town one way and then tracked me as I cycled back again looking for a coffee shop. He reminded me of Sargeant Angel in Hot Fuzz.


After Tiverton it was the A3072 to Crediton, then heading west to pick up the A3072 to Holsworthy and eventually the A39.  Overall this is a great cycling road (3072) and I really enjoyed it, but eventually I had done another day's decent mileage, the sun was sinking below the hills and I needed a campsite fast. I hauled myself up a hill and then another sign stopped me in my tracks (maybe I was an Indian scout in a former life).


This was potentially the last nights camping, and a 16th centuary pub with cask ales at the top of the hill with camping in the beer garden? Was it written that a weary 'End to Ender' would be passing this way at this time? This was the perfect stop before my last day in the saddle and Tony, the landlord was the perfect host. The view from the tent was one of the best and the stars shone brightly that night as I contemplated a 100 mile plus day on Thursday. I'd need to get up early.







No comments:

Post a Comment