Tuesday 2 July 2013

Tuesday 2nd July: Loch Ness to Glencoe - 70 miles

After the quiet wild roads of the Highlands, I was fast approaching the notorious A82 SW to Fort Wiliam due to the volume of fast moving traffic on a single lane carriageway. However, from the quaint village of Fort Augustus there is a 6 mile towpath that follows the Caledonian Canal.



This was great though short lived, and eventually I had to join the A82.

I'd read a bit about the Great Glen Way following a rough track on the north side of Loch Lochy. I decided to give it a go and after the tarmac finishes at Kilfinnan the rest is more than adequate forestry tracks and fine for road tyres. Obviously not as fast as the main road but constant surprises around every corner.




Ben Nevis in the background still with patches of snow


With about 10 miles to Fort William the rain finally started and drizzled all the way but I headed to Nevisport for the cafe and to get some advice on the next section. It seems that the A82 has quite a reputation for being bad for cyclists between FW and Ballachulish and the thing to do is take the ferry across Loch Linnhe and cycle down the opposite bank for 10 miles, then taking the Corran Ferry back over.


This worked out well and I only saw one car the whole way. So far, I was still thinking I might camp, but being wet through and sensing Lee's disgust (in his email) at not having showered since Sat night, I pulled in to this very nice hostel in Glencoe for  £16 a night.


Big decision tomorrow to decide whether to brave the A82 through Glencoe heading South East to Loch Lomond and Glasgow, or head South West to Oban and check out the new, almost finished Sustrans route. I know Glencoe from climbing there years ago so I'm thinking of exploring the unknown and heading to Oban and beyond.




No comments:

Post a Comment