Saturday 6 July 2013

Saturday 6th July: Day 7, Glenridding to the New Inn at Galgate - 51 miles

UHalf way summary:
6 days, 511 miles, 21 Mars Bars

I slept the longest so far, a good 8 hrs and although the heat of the morning sun forces you out of the tent, it's a lovely feeling - especially when camping in this country to know the sun is out there waiting for you. This was going to be my half day off. As promised, my neighbours Sam & David from Tynemouth cooked sausages and egg rolls and made cup after cup of tea - much appreciated hospitality and good company.

Camping neighbours, Sam and David

So, after sunning the middle bit of the body and taking in the glorious mountain scenery it was time to go. Fully rested, fed, creamed up and wearing sunglasses, it was time for the 1500 ft Kirkstone Pass. No contest!


After being passed by at least a 100 Harley riders I huffed and puffed up what should be the hardest ascent of the trip and it was going to take a few rests to get to the top. I'd lightened the load yesterday evening by drinking the Newcy Brown but I was still lugging a tin of rice pudding. I probably rested about 8 times and what a relief to reach the summit. 

Looking back down the way I'd come with Ullswater in the distance.


From the top of the pass came the reward. The descent all the way to Lake Windermere (below).8


With no traffic behind I was able to make use of the full lane width, leaning left and right round tight bends, down steep bits, up over small rises and generally had an absolute blast over several miles, reaching nearly 40 mph in places. The small diversion into the mountains had been more than worth it. At Bowness-on-Windermere it was lunch and then onto Kendal.



Following a minor road out of Kendal to Natland I soon picked up NCN route 6 signs to Lancaster, linking rarely used lanes that nature was starting to reclaim.


Quiet lanes on the way to Lancaster from Kendal with grass growing through the tarmac.

Eventually you join the A6 but then get an opportunity to follow the Lancashire Canal tow path. I enjoyed this so much I spent too much time on it and again it was getting late and I had nothing arranged for the night.


Views from the canal looking out towards  Morecambe Bay.

Google maps to the rescue and I got a room at the New Inn at Galgate for £31 B&B. Perfect.





No comments:

Post a Comment